Monday, April 14, 2008

Large Twist

Ever since I was little, I have looooved ice cream. I go through stages about what I like at the particular moment. I remember my first love was superman icecream. You know, that one that has all the bright colors, and really no distinguishable flavor? yeah. yummy. So this was my fav until i got it into my 4 year old head that I could make a tye dye t-shirt out of it (which should have worked when you think about it)...Mom stopped letting me have it after that. After that, I remember loving root beer floats. Followed by hot fudge sundeas, and then my grampa's malts. Then, I hit college, and my ice cream obsession hit new levels of absurd, with the introduction of flex dollars and Ben&Jerry's just a 30 second walk away. Most recently, my love goes out to chocolate chip cookie dough milkshakes. Effing amazing, and if you havent tried one...go now. Just trust me on this one, i'm a pro.

But, for as long as I can remember, whenever we would do out to get ice cream after a softball game, or whatever, My dad would always get the same thing. A large twist cone. Chocolate and Vanilla blended together in a simple yet wonderful confection. Now I dont have a single thing against the twist, and even though my ice cream tastes involve much more "fluff" so to say, i do enjoy this occasional classic. Why? because its tried and true, and will always be a people pleaser. Also, because I get to change flavors while eating it. I can go from chocolate, to vanilla, or choconilla. So between the smiles it brings, and the variation you get, the twist cone will always be on my personal ice cream list.

So this reminds me rather of the weather. As we have all seen, ITS SPRING!! The weather is changing from winter to wonderful and warm, even though it mixes sometimes between the two, and after rains rivaling those that Noah probably saw after building the Arc, the sun has once again braced it with its presence, and its warming the hearts of all those across campus. Smiles are multiplying like rabbits, doors are being held open longer, people stop to help other people pick things up, and just other random pleasantries. Its just nice to see so much positivity emerging again on my walks to class.

So today I dont really have any specific act of Godliness that I want to share with you all. Just that the sun is out, and spring is here. A time for renewal and freshness. I just ask that you all evaluate whats important to you, and in the new season to lend a helping hand, throw out a smile or a friendly note, and just enjoy life, friends and the gifts you have in life, and to not take things for granted. Laugh till it hurts, let those whom you hold dear know exactly how much they mean to you, and just live it up. Go out side, have some fun. Its a beautiful day.

And most importantly, like an old friend of mine used to say...

Dont sweat petty things. Dont pet sweaty things.

:)

1 comment:

Dame James said...

I loooooove twist soft serve ice cream. It is the best, without a doubt. Although Cold Stone, Ben & Jerry's and Moose Tracks are really close runner-ups.