Saturday, April 5, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Happy Saturday!

I hope everyone is enjoying this maginficent weather that we are having today! You all had better have gone outside to play at some point! On with todays warm and fuzzy.

So as most of my friends know, I have an unhealthy obession with huge sunglasses. (Partly because I ran into a tree when I was about 16, and my eyes are super sensative to the sun) I get a new pair almost every chance I can. Right now, they are round, with little rhinestones on the sides. Fabulous. I got them on a trip to my friends town, where I was with 4 other of my friends. We all ended up with sunglasses in the end, everyones were different. Medium-square, aviators, sleek and black, they were like snowflakes for your face. no two alike. The funny thing was, they all seemed to portray our personalities. It was crazy. I almost feel thats why we picked them, because we did represent us so well. And because we look wicked cool wearing them.

Last night, I went to a benefit concert with the proceeds benefitting the Save Darfur campaign. (http://www.savedarfur.org/content?splash=yes) One of my friends took a large part in organizing it, and we all went out to support her, and Darfur of course. This wasnt a normal concert, it consisted of several acts, highlighting talents from our College. There were several performances, including an Elvis impersonator, the dance team, a poet, and this adorable little boy, who danced with an older man, and was one of the cutest/amazingest thing I've seen in a long tome. Anyway, as these acts were performing, they passed around a little basket, and you put in money based on how much you liked them, and thats how they raised the money. In all they ended up rasing over $250.

Now, this may not seem like much, but I forgot to mention that there couldnt have been more than 20-30 people at this concert, many of them college students, like myself, who just brought a bag of loose change. However, there were some who stood out among the rest. For instance, there was this one guy, same age as me, who was putting up to $10 at a time in the basket. And some of the older members in the audience were donating as much as $20. This really impressed me. These people were giving so much...ignoring the fact that they may have had things that they wanted to spend their money on, but recognizing the fact that this was so much bigger than anything they could buy. It really represented who they were.

I went to the Dominican Republic last summer, and ever since have tried so hard ever since to help out causes like this. And it was really reassuring to see that there are more people out there who also feel this way...that give unconditionally. It was heartwarming, and I enourage all if you to find a way to represent yourself in a way such as this. Don't get me wrong, I will probably be buried with a pair of sunglasses on my face, but thats only my image representation. I want my representation of myself to be like the donaters at this concert. I want to make a difference, and inspire others to do the same.

:)

1 comment:

Dame James said...

Sweet Jesus, I felt like I was watching the "Idol Gives Back" special reading that lol.